[meteorite-list] Re:Fireball Flash?

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

Hi,

    One of the things that interested me about the witness
statements to Park Forest was a woman who described seeing the
flash from her car and added that there was a "huge thunderclap
about two minutes afterward."
    That's 120 seconds times 1100 feet per second, or a distance
of about 25-26 miles. Unfortunately the article did not state if
the flash was overhead for that observer (25 miles straight up)
or at, say, 45 degrees elevation (would be 17 miles up).

Sterling Webb