[meteorite-list] non magnetic meteorites

From: rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

I am wondering if anyone knows of a metal meteorite that is non
magnetic?

Thanks,

Larry

</smaller></fontfamily>No way!!! If it is metallic and non magnetic it
is a meteorwrong either a natural nugget or an artefact (made of
silver, platinium, zinc, tin, etc, stainless steel or any kind of non
magnetic alloy). I do not list gold and copper because of the color,
but you can add them if you are color blinded! I saw a nice meteorwrong
of this type in a museum, exposed as a meteorite. A crucible bottom
residue, after some decades of all sorts of alteration, including
hammerring, can make a decently shape meteorwrong. Besides the lack of
magnetism, density measurement and chemical analysis can solve the
case. Nickel test can be positive

An exception could be raise: a troilite bleb devoid of any metal, which
may look metallic but is actually not a metal (easy check: test it with
an ohmeter on a polished surface). Anyhow I doubt that such bleb can be
totally devoid of metal inclusions.

Pierre