[meteorite-list] Pallasites and Moist Climates

From: wrecks463 <wrecks463_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:08 2004

Has anybody ever tried vacuum sealing a meteorite? The place I work for does
some metal work for a place here in Tucson that builds some serious vacuum
chambers and sells them. Supposedly they can create a vacuum down to like 6
molecules of oxygen per square foot and then they cover it with a plastic
coating that is about .002 of an inch thick. I don't know how well this
would work with something like a rock, I think they usually do it on a
smooth surface. This is like the covering you might see on brass. Anyway, if
anybody is interested I could check it out more. I really don't have a rust
problem where I live. I don't use the swamp cooler just a/c so my rocks stay
pretty dry. Just a thought.

                         Rex