[meteorite-list] Park Forest - The Pulling of Teeth Part II

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:00 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C2F853.3DD8FD40

Continued from part I

Day three
Went on a scavenger hunt for objects that were hit by the meteorite. We =
returned a second time to a house that had been hit to find Mike Farmer =
had offered $12,000.00 for the stone. We offered $15,000.00 and were =
turned down because the stone had already been promised to Mike. We =
were ,however, able to purchase the outermost roof shingle with a =
perfect hole punched through it and a new video game still in the box =
with an impact crater in it. The meteorite did not penetrate the box so =
we think it might have been the final resting point of this house =
hammering stone. We know the roof tile is in fact the very first entry =
point on the house because the hole is punched through the weathered =
portion of it indicating it was the top shingle.=20

We moved onto several other houses that were hit and acquired a nice =
specimen from the meteorite that annihilated a bedroom when it came =
through the roof. We also left with a piece of the two by four it =
snapped.
=20
We went searching and I found a 158 gram specimen in a very bad part of =
the neighborhood. Al and I were taking a picture of it near an impact =
pit when we found ourselves surrounded by gang members. We walked =
towards a bank with six of them following us and they backed off when =
they saw the bank had outdoor security cameras.
=20
We decide to search another area and ran into four other meteorite =
hunters including Jim Schwade and Steve Witt. As Al was talking to them =
he looked down and saw a hole in the ground. He put his finger in the =
hole and felt what turned out to be a 1/2 pound individual. We had five =
people observing and photographed the pit and meteorite as it was being =
removed. When it came out of the ground it was covered with dirt and =
was already starting to oxidize. Sorry Al, it is one of the ugliest =
meteorites I have ever seen but it represented the largest piece found =
by the Lang/Hupe team.=20
=20
The final transaction of the day was a purchase/trade for a beautiful =
150 gram specimen. This was found by a very nice couple who hated to =
part with it. We offered to send them a similar sized meteorite from =
Northwest Africa, pay $4.00 a gram, prepare a small slice from their =
find and give them an autographed copy of meteorite magazine. Although =
every deal we made was like pulling a tooth this was the smoothest =
transaction made the entire time we were there because it only took one =
hour. The same couple later showed up with another gorgeous specimen, =
excellent job! =20
 =20
We went back to the center of the town and heard stories that a few =
locals threw meteorites at their cars and other objects in order to get =
better prices for them. We were offered a few supposed hammer stones =
but the sellers would not sign affidavits stating that they did not =
create the damage themselves. One local showed us his car that had a =
little dent in it with a meteorite with some of the same colored paint =
on it. We decided he was lying because even the smallest stones would =
have done way more damage. This meteorite struck with a lot of force =
and virtually anything that hit the ground buried itself very deeply. =
One stone penetrated all three stories of a house. We investigated one =
and could not find supporting physical evidence that it hit a fire =
hydrant. We photographed the entire hydrant and could not find a single =
scuff on it. It did have yellow paint on it like other stones we =
examined that hit the yellow curbs. We heard a story that a local =
dealer was telling the finders that these stones had a shelf life on =
them and would disintegrate in a couple of weeks if not stabilized in =
his lab. =20

Day four
Wasted all day trying negotiate meteorites that hit objects. One person =
was asking $80,000.00 for a small stone found in a pit, big deal! One =
desperate dealer plunked down $60.00 a gram not wanting to come home =
empty handed. This caused some people we previously purchased from to =
come back and try to shake us down for more money. We left the area =
after placing bids on several stones, collecting phone numbers and =
putting a team of locals together to acquire more. =20
=20
Day five
Spent the morning searching for more impact pits but was slowed down =
because some idiot with a metal detector left uncovered holes =
everywhere. We heard that some kid broke his ankle in one of these =
holes left in a baseball field. Some of the holes were over a foot =
across! It looked like a SCUD missile had taken out part of the =
baseball field. We felt this kind of disrespect for the neighborhood =
was going to cause more problems for meteorite collectors in the field. =
It would not surprise me if some arrests are made shortly or some rough =
local in the area mops the floor with one of these disrespectful =
visitors.
=20
The last dealing we had before heading to the airport was with a police =
officer who was asking $20.00 a gram. We turned down the offer and were =
thankful to be on our way.
=20
I will post pictures later and try to refocus on some fun we had while =
being there.
=20
All the best,
=20
Adam Hupe
=20
         =20

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C2F853.3DD8FD40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV>Continued from part I</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Day three</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Went on&nbsp;a scavenger hunt for =
objects that were=20
hit by the meteorite.&nbsp; We returned a&nbsp;second time to a house =
that had=20
been hit to find&nbsp;Mike Farmer had offered $12,000.00 for the =
stone.&nbsp; We=20
offered $15,000.00 and were turned down because the stone had already =
been=20
promised to Mike.&nbsp; We were ,however, able to purchase the=20
outermost&nbsp;roof shingle with a perfect hole punched through it and=20
a&nbsp;new video game still in the box with an impact crater in =
it.&nbsp;The=20
meteorite did not penetrate the box so we think&nbsp;it might have been =
the=20
final resting point of this house hammering stone.&nbsp; We know the =
roof tile=20
is&nbsp;in fact the very first entry point on the house because the hole =
is=20
punched through the weathered portion of it indicating it was the top=20
shingle.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We moved onto several other houses that =
were hit=20
and acquired a nice specimen from the meteorite that&nbsp;annihilated=20
a&nbsp;bedroom when it came through the roof.&nbsp; We also left with a =
piece of=20
the two by four it snapped.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We went searching and I found a 158 =
gram specimen=20
in a very bad part of the neighborhood.&nbsp;&nbsp;Al and I were taking=20
a&nbsp;picture of it near an impact pit when we found&nbsp;ourselves =
surrounded=20
by&nbsp;gang members.&nbsp; We walked towards a bank with six of them =
following=20
us and they backed off when they saw the bank had outdoor security=20
cameras.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We decide to search another&nbsp;area =
and ran into=20
four other meteorite hunters including Jim Schwade&nbsp;and Steve =
Witt.&nbsp; As=20
Al was talking to them he looked down and saw a hole in the =
ground.&nbsp;=20
He&nbsp;put his finger in the hole and felt what turned out to be a 1/2 =
pound=20
individual.&nbsp;&nbsp;We had five people observing and =
photographed&nbsp;the=20
pit and meteorite as it was being removed.&nbsp; When it came out of the =
ground=20
it was covered with dirt and was already starting to oxidize.&nbsp; =
Sorry Al, it=20
is one of the ugliest meteorites I have ever seen but it represented the =
largest=20
piece found by the Lang/Hupe team. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The final transaction of the day was=20
a&nbsp;purchase/trade for a beautiful 150 gram specimen.&nbsp; This was =
found by=20
a very nice couple who hated to part with it.&nbsp; We offered to send =
them a=20
similar sized meteorite from Northwest Africa, pay $4.00 a gram, prepare =
a small=20
slice from their find and give them an autographed copy of meteorite=20
magazine.&nbsp; Although every deal we made was like&nbsp;pulling a =
tooth this=20
was the smoothest transaction made the entire time we were there because =
it only=20
took one hour.&nbsp; The same couple later showed up with another =
gorgeous=20
specimen, excellent=20
job!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We went back to the center of the town =
and heard=20
stories that a few locals&nbsp;threw meteorites at their cars and other =
objects=20
in order to get better prices for them.&nbsp; We were offered a few =
supposed=20
hammer stones but the sellers would not sign&nbsp;affidavits stating =
that they=20
did not create the damage themselves.&nbsp;&nbsp;One local showed us his =
car=20
that had a&nbsp;little dent in it with a meteorite with some of the same =
colored=20
paint on it.&nbsp; We&nbsp;decided he was lying because even the =
smallest stones=20
would have done way more damage.&nbsp; This meteorite struck with a lot =
of force=20
and virtually anything that hit the ground buried itself very =
deeply.&nbsp; One=20
stone penetrated all three stories of a house. We investigated one and =
could not=20
find supporting physical evidence that it hit a fire hydrant.&nbsp; We=20
photographed the entire hydrant and could not find a single scuff on =
it.&nbsp;=20
It did have yellow paint on it like other stones we examined that hit =
the yellow=20
curbs.&nbsp;&nbsp;We heard a story that a&nbsp;local dealer was telling =
the=20
finders that these stones had a shelf life on them and would =
disintegrate in a=20
couple of weeks if not stabilized in his lab.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Day four</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wasted all day trying negotiate =
meteorites that hit=20
objects.&nbsp; One person was asking $80,000.00 for a small stone found =
in a=20
pit, big deal!&nbsp;&nbsp;One desperate dealer plunked down $60.00 a=20
gram&nbsp;not wanting to come home empty handed.&nbsp; This caused some =
people=20
we previously purchased from to come back and try to shake us down for =
more=20
money.&nbsp; We left the area after placing bids on several stones, =
collecting=20
phone numbers and putting a team of locals together to acquire=20
more.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Day&nbsp;five</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Spent the morning searching for more =
impact pits=20
but was slowed down because some idiot with a metal detector left =
uncovered=20
holes everywhere.&nbsp;&nbsp;We heard that some kid broke his ankle in =
one of=20
these holes left in a baseball field.&nbsp;&nbsp;Some of the holes were =
over a=20
foot across!&nbsp; It looked like a&nbsp;SCUD missile had taken out part =
of the=20
baseball field.&nbsp; We felt this kind of disrespect for the =
neighborhood was=20
going to cause&nbsp;more problems for meteorite collectors in the =
field.&nbsp;=20
It would not surprise me&nbsp;if some arrests are made shortly or some =
rough=20
local&nbsp;in the area mops the floor with one of these disrespectful=20
visitors.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The last&nbsp;dealing we =
had&nbsp;before heading to=20
the airport was with a police officer who was&nbsp;asking $20.00 a =
gram.&nbsp;=20
We turned down the offer and were thankful to be on our =
way.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I will post pictures later and try to =
refocus=20
on&nbsp;some fun we had while being there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Adam Hupe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C2F853.3DD8FD40--