[meteorite-list] Park Forest - The Pulling of Teeth Part I

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:00 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2F852.F2296100

Dear List Members,

Wow, lots of emails concerning the new Chicago fall. I was going to try =
to get back into the meteorite scene slowly but could not resist the =
temptation of a new fall and was thrust back into the fire. Al Lang and =
I decided to leave Park Forest yesterday because the feeding frenzy and =
greed was getting to be too much.

Here is a long rundown of some of our experiences in case anybody is =
interested.

Day one
Had a deal on the only oriented stone we observed the entire time we =
were there and had a museum director destroy our deal by telling the =
seller not to sell to us until the museum had a chance to make an offer =
on it first. The seller was then encouraged to donate the stone for a =
write-off. Most of these people are not in a position to take advantage =
of a tax write off because they are in the lowest income bracket. A =
donor can only write-off expenses incurred so basically they were giving =
these stones away free or they will unknowingly break the law if they =
try to write them off at $15.00 a gram. This shows blatant disrespect =
and abuse of perceived power. I am so disgusted in these three =
professionals that I will discourage any donations of material to their =
respective institutions unless they are reprimanded. On the positive =
side meteorite dealers and collectors behaved themselves for the most =
part in a much more professional manner.
=20
We were at the police station when we heard a gunshot fired around the =
corner at about 7:00 p.m. prompting us to leave the area and find a =
hotel.

Purchased very little material at the initial $1.00 a gram price because =
we only wanted the best stones, we observed about 40 kilograms found in =
less than 10 hours and thought hundreds of kilos would show up by the =
next day.

Day two
Scoured the neighborhood for deals but the word was spread on the news =
not to sell to meteorite dealers who were there to take advantage of the =
finders. A new street price was established at $3.00 a gram because =
this is what a museum was offering. We purchased a single stone at this =
price.=20
=20
Went searching for meteorites and found a 24 gram specimen laying =
between a curb and a sidewalk. An old woman observed me picking it up =
and accused me of stealing it. Then she called me a hippie freak (I =
don't even have long hair) and told me she saw me pick up the stone from =
a yard. She went on to tell me that her part of the neighborhood did =
not like strangers poking around. She also mentioned that she heard =
about us "meteor people" on the news and knew we were up to no good. A =
small crowd was beginning to gather so I walked quickly back to the car. =
 Our group, now consisting of four members decided it was time to go =
somewhere else to search so we left. We had to drive by her house on =
the way out and the next thing she did was chase us in her car. It took =
about 20 blocks and three turns to shake her. I am sure she wrote down =
our license plate number and reported the supposed theft to the police. =
We were given permission by the city to check the areas between the =
sidewalks and curbs. =20

That night somebody was ran over by a car three times in front of our =
hotel. We saw all the police cars and ambulances but did not know what =
had happened until the next morning when we found out the person had =
been killed.

See next posting for part II

All the Best,

Adam Hupe

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2F852.F2296100

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear List Members,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wow, lots of emails concerning the new =
Chicago=20
fall.&nbsp; I was going to try to get back into the meteorite scene =
slowly but=20
could not resist the temptation of a new fall and was thrust back into =
the=20
fire.</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; Al Lang and I decided to =
leave Park=20
Forest yesterday because the feeding frenzy and greed was&nbsp;getting =
to be too=20
much.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here is a long rundown of some of=20
our&nbsp;experiences in case anybody is interested.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Day one</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Had a deal on the only oriented stone =
we observed=20
the entire time we were there and&nbsp;had a museum director destroy our =
deal by=20
telling the seller not to sell to us until the museum had a chance to =
make an=20
offer on it first.&nbsp; The seller was then encouraged to donate the =
stone for=20
a write-off.&nbsp; Most of these people are not in a position to take =
advantage=20
of a tax write off because they are in the lowest income bracket.&nbsp; =
A donor=20
can only write-off expenses incurred so basically they were giving these =
stones=20
away free or they will unknowingly break the law if they try to write =
them off=20
at $15.00 a gram.&nbsp; This shows blatant disrespect and abuse of =
perceived=20
power.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am so disgusted in these three professionals that I =
will=20
discourage any donations of&nbsp;material to their respective =
institutions=20
unless they are reprimanded.&nbsp;&nbsp;On the positive side meteorite =
dealers=20
and collectors behaved themselves for the most part&nbsp;in a&nbsp;much =
more=20
professional manner.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We were at the police station when we =
heard a=20
gunshot fired around the corner at about 7:00 p.m. prompting us to leave =
the=20
area and find a hotel.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Purchased very little&nbsp;material at =
the initial=20
$1.00 a gram price because we only wanted the best stones, we observed =
about 40=20
kilograms found in less than 10 hours and thought hundreds of kilos =
would show=20
up by the next day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Day two</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Scoured the neighborhood for deals but =
the word was=20
spread on the news not to sell to meteorite dealers who were there to =
take=20
advantage of the finders.&nbsp;&nbsp;A new street price was established=20
at&nbsp;$3.00 a gram because this is what a museum was offering.&nbsp; =
We=20
purchased a single stone at this&nbsp;price.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Went searching for meteorites and found =
a 24 gram=20
specimen&nbsp;laying&nbsp;between&nbsp;a curb and a sidewalk.&nbsp; An =
old woman=20
observed me picking it up and accused me of stealing it.&nbsp; Then=20
she&nbsp;called me a hippie freak (I don't even have long hair) and told =
me she=20
saw me pick up the stone from a yard.&nbsp; She went on to tell me that =
her part=20
of the neighborhood did not like strangers poking around.&nbsp; =
She&nbsp;also=20
mentioned that she heard about us "meteor people" on the news=20
and&nbsp;knew&nbsp;we were up to no good.&nbsp; A small crowd was =
beginning to=20
gather so I&nbsp;walked quickly back to the car.&nbsp;&nbsp;Our group, =
now=20
consisting of four members&nbsp;decided it was time to go somewhere else =
to=20
search so we left.&nbsp; We had to drive by her house on the way out and =
the=20
next thing&nbsp;she did was chase us in her car.&nbsp; It took =
about&nbsp;20=20
blocks and three turns to shake her.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am sure she wrote down =
our=20
license plate number and reported the supposed theft to the =
police.&nbsp; We=20
were given permission by the city to check the areas between the =
sidewalks and=20
curbs.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That night somebody was ran over by a =
car three=20
times in front of our hotel.&nbsp; We saw all the police cars and =
ambulances but=20
did not know what had happened until the next morning when we found out =
the=20
person&nbsp;had been&nbsp;killed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>See next posting for part =
II</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the Best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Adam Hupe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2F852.F2296100--