[meteorite-list] Meteorite Contest #7 - Clarification

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:29 2004

That's pretty easy... over the past week, I gave a talk about my
meteorites to a group of A+ (3-5th graders) students at a library on the
island I was visiting (my husband and I went to the Neighbor Island of
Molokai for our annual vacation this year.) Anyway, I had a slice of Gold
Basin I put up for grabs for the students, provided they could show they
had gotten SOMETHING out of my talk besides time away from school. The
question I wanted them to answer was: "I talked about the three main types
of meteorites at the beginning of my presentation. Whoever can name them
gets the meteorite I'm giving away."

Everyone remembered stone and iron, but no one remembered stone- or
stony-iron. I started giving hints, and one young man raised his hand
"Stone, iron, and... spaghetti!!" Guess it was getting close to
dinnertime. Everyone broke up laughing, and that was where I gave up on
that question. The Gold Basin went to a young lady who correctly said
that it took MILLIONS of years for meteorites to get to us from where they
started. On that one I also had one student say confidently that it took
7 years for meteorites to get to Earth from outer space. Musta put a warp
drive on that one...

Tracy "Kids say the darnedest things" Latimer