[meteorite-list] Contest mystery main mass

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:22 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01C25666.BD5F7D80

Dear Contestants,

We have had close to 70 entries, all well thought out. This has got to =
be the most competitive and knowledgeable group we have run across. =
Some notable entries are listed below:

A hot desert Penguinite. I have never heard of this group before but it =
sounds intriguing.

A stone from Mercury. This would be to hard to prove and there is no =
group.

A pairing to ALH84001. We could only wish! Another hint: This type of =
meteorite was used to calibrate the equipment for studying ALH84001.

A Chassignite. Compositionally speaking this is very close.

Another piece of NWA 011. There is no Antarctic counterpart and some is =
in private hands.

An entry from an 11 year old. With this kids knowledge base I can not =
wait to read his scientific abstracts when he turns 12.=20

A harzburgitic periodotite. Accurately describes the rock but not its =
classification.

An Iherzolitic Shergottite. This shows somebody was doing their =
research but wrong again. This fits the criteria of the contest and was =
a very good guess, same for ALH84001.

An achondrite. Correct but too general.

An Earth to Earth meteorite. Wouldn't that be the cat's meow!

Some kind of rock with life in it. I could go out in my backyard and =
find one these so there is some in private hands already.

All of the entries were very enlightening and this has been fun. The =
contest is now over and nobody guessed it correctly. Do not fret =
though, we will look over all of the entries and try to decide who was =
the closest. One entry from Bernd mentioned half the classification. =
If he would of added one more word and referenced the correct Antarctic =
number he would have won. Some of the entries were so close that we may =
decide to assign a number to each one. We then may split the already =
small specimen into three and draw from a hat. Then we will send them =
out in the order drawn skewed by a couple of days to make sure somebody =
is still the 2nd person in the world to have a representation in their =
collection.

We are hitting the road now for Denver and will not be able to answer =
emails until after the 19th since we will not have access to a computer. =
 We will however have somebody else post to the list the classification =
after we announce it at the show next Wednesday. This will keep some of =
you from going insane wondering what it could be.

Good luck and best wishes,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01C25666.BD5F7D80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Contestants,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We have had close to 70 entries, all =
well thought=20
out.&nbsp; This has got to be the most competitive and knowledgeable =
group we=20
have run across.&nbsp; Some notable entries are listed =
below:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A hot desert Penguinite.&nbsp; I have =
never heard=20
of this group before but it sounds intriguing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A&nbsp;stone from Mercury.&nbsp; This =
would be to=20
hard to prove and there is no group.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A pairing to ALH84001.&nbsp; We could =
only=20
wish!&nbsp; Another hint: This type of meteorite was used to calibrate =
the=20
equipment for studying ALH84001.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>A&nbsp;Chassignite.&nbsp;&nbsp;Compositionally=20
speaking this is very close.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another piece of NWA =
011.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is=20
no&nbsp;Antarctic counterpart and some is in private hands.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>An entry from an 11 year old.&nbsp; =
With this kids=20
knowledge base I can not wait to read his scientific abstracts when he =
turns=20
12.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A harzburgitic periodotite.&nbsp; =
Accurately=20
describes the rock but&nbsp;not its classification.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>An Iherzolitic Shergottite.&nbsp; This =
shows=20
somebody was doing their research but wrong again.&nbsp; This fits the =
criteria=20
of the contest and was a very good guess, same for =
ALH84001.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>An achondrite.&nbsp; Correct but too=20
general.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>An Earth to Earth meteorite.&nbsp; =
Wouldn't that be=20
the cat's meow!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Some kind of rock with life in =
it.&nbsp; I could go=20
out in my backyard and find one these so there is some in private hands=20
already.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All of the entries were very =
enlightening and this=20
has been fun.&nbsp; The contest is now over and nobody guessed it=20
correctly.&nbsp; Do not fret though, we will look over all of the =
entries and=20
try to decide who was the closest.&nbsp; One entry from Bernd mentioned =
half the=20
classification.&nbsp; If he would of added one more word and referenced =
the=20
correct Antarctic number he would have won.&nbsp; Some of the entries =
were so=20
close that we may decide to assign a number to each one. We then may =
split the=20
already small specimen into three&nbsp;and draw from a hat.&nbsp; Then =
we will=20
send them out in the order drawn skewed by a couple of days to make sure =

somebody is still the 2nd person in the world to have a representation =
in their=20
collection.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We are hitting the road now for Denver =
and will not=20
be able to answer emails until after the 19th since we will not have =
access to a=20
computer.&nbsp; We will however have somebody else post to the list the=20
classification after we announce it at the show next Wednesday.&nbsp; =
This will=20
keep some of you from going insane wondering what it could =
be.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good luck and best wishes,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Adam and Greg Hupe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Hupe Collection</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>IMCA 2185</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01C25666.BD5F7D80--