[meteorite-list] Newspaper Article, 04-16-1897 Cape York

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:05 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C280C3.66301380

New York Times
New York City, NY.
Friday, April 16, 1897
Page 7
LIEUT. PEARY'S NEW POST.
Ordered to Mare Island - His Projected Polar Expedition May Be Affected.
WASHINGTON, April 15. - The Navy Department is much exercised over an ord=
er to Lieut. Peary, the arctic explorer, to leave the New York navy yard =
and go to Mare Island, California. Lieut. Peary's friends and persons act=
ively interested in polar explorations are raising a fund in New York to =
defray the expense of anotehr expedition to be conducted by Lieut. Peary =
into the far north.
It is asserted that the detachment of the officer from New York now will =
involve the enterprise in failure. The Chief of Bureau of Yards and Docks=
 is said to hold that the New York Navy Yard, which now employs four civi=
l engineers can get along with three, wherefore it is proposed to sent Li=
eut. Peary to Mare Island. On the other side are the scientists urging Se=
cretary Long to allow the officer to remain in New York for a time, and t=
hen to go on leave of obsence while conducting the polar expedition.
The foregoing dispatch was show to Lieut. Peary last evening by a reporte=
r from THE NEW YORK TIMES.
"It is true." said the explorer, "that I have been ordered to Mare Island=
. The order can several days ago. But as to the other maters in the dispa=
tch, I have no knowledge."
Lieut. Peary refused to discuss further the efforts of his friends to kee=
p him in Brooklyn or his plans for the immediate future. But he said that=
 the funds to send out his expedition were assured.
"I asked for $150,000 to equip an expedition for ten years," he said. "Th=
at sum is assured."

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C280C3.66301380

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>&nbsp;</P></FONT><B><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> <P>New York Times</=
P> <P>New York City, NY.</P> <P>Friday, April 16, 1897</P> <P>Page 7</P><=
/FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT><FONT size=3D2> <P>LIEUT. PEA=
RY'S NEW POST.</P> <P>Ordered to Mare Island - His Projected Polar Expedi=
tion May Be Affected.</P> <P></B>WASHINGTON, April 15. - The Navy Departm=
ent is much exercised over an order to Lieut. Peary, the arctic explorer,=
 to leave the New York navy yard and go to Mare Island, California. Lieut=
. Peary's friends and persons actively interested in polar explorations a=
re raising a fund in New York to defray the expense of anotehr expedition=
 to be conducted by Lieut. Peary into the far north.</P> <P>It is asserte=
d that the detachment of the officer from New York now will involve the e=
nterprise in failure. The Chief of Bureau of Yards and Docks is said to h=
old that the New York Navy Yard, which now employs four civil engineers c=
an get along with three, wherefore it is proposed to sent Lieut. Peary to=
 Mare Island. On the other side are the scientists urging Secretary Long =
to allow the officer to remain in New York for a time, and then to go on =
leave of obsence while conducting the polar expedition.</P> <P>The forego=
ing dispatch was show to Lieut. Peary last evening by a reporter from THE=
 NEW YORK TIMES.</P> <P>"It is true." said the explorer, "that I have bee=
n ordered to Mare Island. The order can several days ago. But as to the o=
ther maters in the dispatch, I have no knowledge."</P> <P>Lieut. Peary re=
fused to discuss further the efforts of his friends to keep him in Brookl=
yn or his plans for the immediate future. But he said that the funds to s=
end out his expedition were assured.</P> <P>"I asked for $150,000 to equi=
p an expedition for ten years," he said. "That sum is assured."</P></FONT=