[meteorite-list] Newspaper Article, 10-24-1897 Cape York

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:05 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0006_01C280C3.251B0120

Paper: New York Times =20
City: New York, NY
Date: Sunday, October 24, 1897
Page: 5
DR. NANSEN IN NEW YORK
The Norwegian Explorer in Welcomed by His Countrymen Here and by American=
HE TALKS ABOUT HIS PLANS
The Geographical Society Gives a Reception in His Honor at Chickering Hal=
l and the Cullum Medal Is Presented Him.
Dr. Fridtjof Nanse, the Norwegian explorer, arrived in New York yesterday=
 on the steamship Lucania, which was sighted off Fire Island at 1:40 P.M.=
 at 4:30 PM the steamer Favorite, with the Nansen committee, composed of =
Scandinavians living in New York, went alongside and, amid cheers for the=
 distinguished explorer, took him off and started with him back to the ci=
ty.
>From the moment he went aboard the reception boat untill it reached West =
Thirty-fifth Street, Dr. Nansen was subjected to continuous congradulatio=
ns at the hands of his countrymen. Karl G. M, Woxen, Consul for Norway an=
d Sweden, made a speech in Norwegian, welcoming the explorer to America, =
to which Dr. Nansen responded in the same tougue. Prof. Libbev of Princet=
on delived a brief welcoming address, and Dr. Nansen replied in English, =
which he spoke with apparent case. Then a choral society sang Norwegian p=
atriotic songs.
The visitor was escorted to the Hotel Savoy, which will be his headquarte=
rs during his stay in New York.
HE TALKS ABOUT ANDREE
To the question, "Do you think Andree has been lost?" Dr. Nansen answered=
, "No, I don't think so. He may be lost, but there is no reason to assume=
 so yet."
"Do you think Andree's plan of reaching the pole by balloon possible." he=
 has asked. =20
"Yes, it is possible," was his answer.
Dr. Nansen was not impressed with Lieut. Preary's meteorite, about which =
so much has been said recently. "It is not a meteorite,"but merely tellur=
ic Iron, the same thing that Nordenskjold discovered."
Concerning Peary's plan for reaching, the pole, he said he knew too littl=
e to express an opinion.
As to his own plans, Dr. Nansen said he had none bearing arctic explorati=
o, "I have no idea of leading another expedition in search of the north p=
ole." he said. "To the south pole? I do not know about that, I might poss=
ibly undertake some antarctic exploration at some time in the future, tho=
ugh I have no definite plans in that line now."
Not After a Record.
He said he did not expect to undertake the fixing of the northern boundar=
y of Greenland, "though his former Captain, Sverdrup, was about to head a=
n expedition for that purpose.
"There is northing at the north pole to discover," said Dr. Hansen, "exce=
pt a sea of ice. I have never taken any stock in the record-breaking busi=
ness. In my recent expedition I was not striving to reach any precise mat=
hematical point. My purpose was to explore the unknown arctic regions. In=
 that I succeeded."
"Would the discovery of the north pole be of any material use?" the explo=
rer was asked.
"Yes," he answered, "It would be of scientific use, and anything that is =
of value to science is of material value."
Dr. Nansen is thirty-six years old, but looks younger. He is six feet tal=
l, has light hair and mustache, blue eyes, and a fair complexion. When he=
 appeared on the deck of the Lucania ready to come ashore he wore a tight=
-fitting double-breasted gray sack coat and a soft crush hat. At first gl=
ance he looked more like a big, healthy, sport-loving college boy that th=
e world-famed scientist and explorer.
There was an enthusiastic reception for Dr. Nansen in the evening at Chic=
kering Hall, given by the American Geographical Society. The hall was fil=
led with people, who rose to their feet and applauded the explorer as he =
came upon the platform. Lieut. Perry was there, as were Sergt. Long of th=
e Greely expedition, and Capt. Brainerd, the partner of the ill-fated Loc=
kword. Others on the platform were: Ex-Judge Charles P. Daly, President o=
f the sociery; Paul du Challu, Henry Holt, ex-Judge Charles A. Peabody, P=
rof. J.H. Van Armringe, Gen. Egber. L Vicle, Capt. A.T. Mahan, Admiral Gh=
erardi. Austen G. Fox, and Morris K. Jesup.
Dr. Nansen was introduced by Judge Daly, who then presented to him the Cu=
llum Geographical Medal, awarded by the council of the society. The metal=
 bore the inscription; "Awarded to Frikijof Nansen for his voyage in the =
Fram and sledge journey on the Ice floes to 80 degrees 14 minues north. 1=
893-1896."
After a lengthy presentation speech made by Judge Daly, Dr. Nansen expres=
sed his thanks for the gift. "I more especially appreciate it," he said, =
in slightly broken English, "because it is given (to) me by nation which =
has had so many great explorers."
He said he had not been aware that he was attend a meeting untill he step=
ped on shore, so that he was not prepared to make a long address.

The Object of His Trip
"The main object of our expedition, "he said, "was to explore the polar r=
egion and make scientific observations on the way rather than the discove=
ry of the pole. I believe that the deep sea, covered by a thin layer of i=
ce, found all along our route, extends much further north, and that, in a=
ll probability, the pole iteself is in this same ocean, covered by floati=
ng ice. I believe however, that there is probably some unknown land betwe=
en the pole and the most northern shores of America. In my opinion, the p=
ole can be reached by sleds and dogs, which is next going to be done."
The speaker concluded by expression his admiration for Lieut. Peary and a=
 hope that he would reach the pole on his next expedition.
Lieut. Peary wore his naval uniform. He spoke of the admiration of the Am=
erican people had for Nansen, and said they would greet him with the warm=
est welcome.
Capt. Brainerd was then prevailed upon to say a few words. "The United St=
ate," he said, "held this record for the furthest north for fourteen year=
s. When I learned of Nansen carrying the Norwegian flag beyond the point =
reached by the Stars and Stripes, it was something of a shock to me, but =
I was consoled by the thought that it was most fitting that the Norwegian=
s, the descendants of the old Vikings, should hold the record."
After the addresses those in the audience were invited to the platform to=
 meet the famous explorer. Dr. Nansen was elected an honorary member of t=
he society. =20

------=_NextPart_001_0006_01C280C3.251B0120

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Paper:</FONT><FONT size=3D3> </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>New=
 York Times</FONT><FONT size=3D3> </FONT></P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>=
 <P>City:</FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3> </FONT><FONT fac=
e=3DArial size=3D2>New York</FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT si=
ze=3D3>, </FONT><FONT size=3D2>NY</P></FONT></FONT><FONT face=3DArial siz=
e=3D2> <P>Date:</FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3> </FONT><FO=
NT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sunday, October 24, 1897</P> <P>Page: 5</P></B><=
/FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2> <P>DR. NANSEN IN NEW YORK<=
/P> <P>The Norwegian Explorer in Welcomed by His Countrymen Here and by A=
mericans</P> <P>HE TALKS ABOUT HIS PLANS</P> <P>The Geographical Society =
Gives a Reception in His Honor at Chickering Hall and the Cullum Medal Is=
 Presented Him.</P> <P>Dr. Fridtjof Nanse, the Norwegian explorer, arrive=
d in New York yesterday on the steamship Lucania, which was sighted off F=
ire Island at 1:40 P.M. at 4:30 PM the steamer Favorite, with the Nansen =
committee, composed of Scandinavians living in New York, went alongside a=
nd, amid cheers for the distinguished explorer, took him off and started =
with him back to the city.</P> <P>From the moment he went aboard the rece=
ption boat untill it reached West Thirty-fifth Street, Dr. Nansen was sub=
jected to continuous congradulations at the hands of his countrymen. Karl=
 G. M, Woxen, Consul for Norway and Sweden, made a speech in Norwegian, w=
elcoming the explorer to America, to which Dr. Nansen responded in the sa=
me tougue. Prof. Libbev of Princeton delived a brief welcoming address, a=
nd Dr. Nansen replied in English, which he spoke with apparent case. Then=
 a choral society sang Norwegian patriotic songs.</P> <P>The visitor was =
escorted to the Hotel Savoy, which will be his headquarters during his st=
ay in New York.</P> <P>HE TALKS ABOUT ANDREE</P> <P>To the question, "Do =
you think Andree has been lost?" Dr. Nansen answered, "No, I don't think =
so. He may be lost, but there is no reason to assume so yet."</P> <P>"Do =
you think Andree's plan of reaching the pole by balloon possible." he has=
 asked. </P> <P>"Yes, it is possible," was his answer.</P> <P>Dr. Nansen =
was not impressed with Lieut. Preary's meteorite, about which so much has=
 been said recently. "It is not a meteorite,"but merely telluric Iron, th=
e same thing that Nordenskjold discovered."</P> <P>Concerning Peary's pla=
n for reaching, the pole, he said he knew too little to express an opinio=
n.</P> <P>As to his own plans, Dr. Nansen said he had none bearing arctic=
 exploratio, "I have no idea of leading another expedition in search of t=
he north pole." he said. "To the south pole? I do not know about that, I =
might possibly undertake some antarctic exploration at some time in the f=
uture, though I have no definite plans in that line now."</P> <P>Not Afte=
r a Record.</P> <P>He said he did not expect to undertake the fixing of t=
he northern boundary of Greenland, "though his former Captain, Sverdrup, =
was about to head an expedition for that purpose.</P> <P>"There is northi=
ng at the north pole to discover," said Dr. Hansen, "except a sea of ice.=
 I have never taken any stock in the record-breaking business. In my rece=
nt expedition I was not striving to reach any precise mathematical point.=
 My purpose was to explore the unknown arctic regions. In that I succeede=
d."</P> <P>"Would the discovery of the north pole be of any material use?=
" the explorer was asked.</P> <P>"Yes," he answered, "It would be of scie=
ntific use, and anything that is of value to science is of material value=
."</P> <P>Dr. Nansen is thirty-six years old, but looks younger. He is si=
x feet tall, has light hair and mustache, blue eyes, and a fair complexio=
n. When he appeared on the deck of the Lucania ready to come ashore he wo=
re a tight-fitting double-breasted gray sack coat and a soft crush hat. A=
t first glance he looked more like a big, healthy, sport-loving college b=
oy that the world-famed scientist and explorer.</P> <P>There was an enthu=
siastic reception for Dr. Nansen in the evening at Chickering Hall, given=
 by the American Geographical Society. The hall was filled with people, w=
ho rose to their feet and applauded the explorer as he came upon the plat=
form. Lieut. Perry was there, as were Sergt. Long of the Greely expeditio=
n, and Capt. Brainerd, the partner of the ill-fated Lockword. Others on t=
he platform were: Ex-Judge Charles P. Daly, President of the sociery; Pau=
l du Challu, Henry Holt, ex-Judge Charles A. Peabody, Prof. J.H. Van Armr=
inge, Gen. Egber. L Vicle, Capt. A.T. Mahan, Admiral Gherardi. Austen G. =
Fox, and Morris K. Jesup.</P> <P>Dr. Nansen was introduced by Judge Daly,=
 who then presented to him the Cullum Geographical Medal, awarded by the =
council of the society. The metal bore the inscription; "Awarded to Friki=
jof Nansen for his voyage in the Fram and sledge journey on the Ice floes=
 to 80 degrees 14 minues north. 1893-1896."</P> <P>After a lengthy presen=
tation speech made by Judge Daly, Dr. Nansen expressed his thanks for the=
 gift. "I more especially appreciate it," he said, in slightly broken Eng=
lish, "because it is given (to) me by nation which has had so many great =
explorers."</P> <P>He said he had not been aware that he was attend a mee=
ting untill he stepped on shore, so that he was not prepared to make a lo=
ng address.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>The Object of His Trip</P> <P>"The main =
object of our expedition, "he said, "was to explore the polar region and =
make scientific observations on the way rather than the discovery of the =
pole. I believe that the deep sea, covered by a thin layer of ice, found =
all along our route, extends much further north, and that, in all probabi=
lity, the pole iteself is in this same ocean, covered by floating ice. I =
believe however, that there is probably some unknown land between the pol=
e and the most northern shores of America. In my opinion, the pole can be=
 reached by sleds and dogs, which is next going to be done."</P> <P>The s=
peaker concluded by expression his admiration for Lieut. Peary and a hope=
 that he would reach the pole on his next expedition.</P> <P>Lieut. Peary=
 wore his naval uniform. He spoke of the admiration of the American peopl=
e had for Nansen, and said they would greet him with the warmest welcome.=
</P> <P>Capt. Brainerd was then prevailed upon to say a few words. "The U=
nited State," he said, "held this record for the furthest north for fourt=
een years. When I learned of Nansen carrying the Norwegian flag beyond th=
e point reached by the Stars and Stripes, it was something of a shock to =
me, but I was consoled by the thought that it was most fitting that the N=
orwegians, the descendants of the old Vikings, should hold the record."</=
P> <P>After the addresses those in the audience were invited to the platf=
orm to meet the famous explorer. Dr. Nansen was elected an honorary membe=
r of the society. </P></FONT><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0006_01C280C3.251B0120--