[meteorite-list] [OT] Re: Norton behind the Virus (!?)

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:00 2004

Hi Geoff,
        Really, wouldn't it be even a little better to hear from those that
think we never landed on the moon or that there is a contest between
alien forces as to which ETs can make the most interesting crop
signs?
        Gotta love it, Michael

on 10/12/02 12:18 AM, geoking_at_notkin.net at geoking@notkin.net wrote:

> Dear Ken, Kim and List:
>
> I realize this is more than a little OT and probably wasting some
> people's time -- so I apologize in advance -- but I just couldn't
> resist. Of all the weird things I've seen on the M-List (and there
> have been plenty), accusing Symantec of creating new viruses in order
> to sell their own products is one of the nuttiest . . . right up
> there with the Frass meteorite even!
>
> Kim posted:
>
>> Norton has to behind this, who else is making out.
>> Norton paying these guys to this.
>

> Ken posted:
>
>> I agree with you, Norton was behind this!
>> I vowed then and there not to buy their product!
>

> People create viruses for all sorts of reasons: Kids do it for fun;
> anarchists do it because it's anarchistic; hackers target companies
> they don't like; disgruntled employees ditto; and so on. In the
> hacker subculture it is a major status symbol to have created a virus
> that's caused international mayhem. You may not have encountered
> these types of characters in real life but I have, and I assure you
> they are active, numerous, and damn clever. I suppose you could say
> they are the digital age's version of the neighborhood prankster.
> Some have eventually been employed by our own government, in a sort
> of "If we can't beat them, get them on the payroll" scenario.
>
> Symantec -- the company that manufactures Norton Antivirus, Norton
> Utilities, Systemworks, etc. -- is an excellent outfit and in my
> opinion vital to the professional computer user. I couldn't have kept
> my numerous computer stations running all these years with them. I've
> employed nearly all of their products for as long as I've been using
> computers for a living. They've helped me root out all kinds of virus
> trouble, hardware problems, prevented hackers getting into my
> systems, and on and on.
>
> I don't want to waste the List's time with OT discussions, but -- no
> offense intended -- your statements are absolute nonsense, and could
> actually be damaging by negatively influencing List subscribers who
> might otherwise buy these useful products. Hence the rebuttal.
>
> We all get angry over virus issues, and really I do sympathize with
> you guys, but posting preposterous statements about one of the few
> companies that combats the problem is not going to help. If you would
> like to discuss this further, please write to me off-List. I would be
> happy to furnish you with additional information on the subject that
> may be useful to you.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Geoff N.
> www.notkin.net
> www.paleozoic.org

What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is
alive?
    Irv Kupcinet
--
Worth Seeing: