[meteorite-list] My Meteorites are more puzzling than Mercury Meteorite Puzzle

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:51 2004

No, it couldn't. When an object goes through the atmosphere and gets its
crust the material is ablated quite quickly which means that the outer areas
of a meteorite are burned away. That would include any areas that have been
burned by a close passage to the sun. Also, due to rocks being a poor
conductor for heat combined with the ablation process we can't expect to see
a very thick crust on any real meteorite.
Sorry to say but once again even though I can't say what your rocks are I
think its safe to say that they are NOT meteorites. Remember my friend, the
burden of proof is not upon the nay-sayers to show that you don't have
meteorites but upon yourself to prove that you do indeed have numerous types
of new meteorites that have not been seen before and just happen to have a
higher concentration in your corner of the world.
Apparently though there are areas of the world that seem to act as a magnet
for extremely revolutionary meteorites. Your corner of the world as well as
the Boggy Creek area of Texas (I think its in Texas), the shores of Lake
Michigan where the emerald meteorite is from, and the Frass ranch seem to
have unusually high concentrations of rare and unusual meteorites. Anyone
care to do study on the reasons behind this?
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal
www.meteoritecollectors.org