[meteorite-list] IMCA, Michael Blood's comments

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

Hi Tom, John, & the whole fan damly,
        Well, ok, then, howsabout a statement something like, "All
IMCA members guarentee their material to be authentic - as
do some reputable non members. We encourage you to buy only
from individuals that guarentee their material to be meteoritic."
This does not impede ANYONE or limit anyone, or require
membership or anything other than ethical behavior regarding
the sale of meteorites - and if they DON'T guarentee their material
to be meteoritic, they do not have my support in any way, means or
fashon. They are a threat to the stability of the field and I THOUGHT
this was the primary stated goal at the founding of the IMCA.
        Perhaps I was under the wrong impression when I joined the
IMCA. I thought the founding IDEA was to form an organization
that would guarentee new collectors (and all collecrors) they
were getting getting legitimate meteoritic material - PARTICULARLY
on eBay. (If you check the list archives, I belive you will find this is
the case - but, like Dennis Miller, "I could be wrong") If there is
no statement encouraging people only buy with a guarentee of
authenticity (whether from a member or not) then WHAT IS THE
POINT?
        I may or may not agree with other "ethical" issues of other
members - but this is the REASON I joined - to improve the
respectability - the reputation, as it were, of our field.
        Best wishes, Michael
PS: Yes, Mike Farmer, it was in reference to you as an example of
a trustworthy dealer who was not (yet?) a member of the IMCA
- it was in response to a posting in which your last name had been
included.
PPS: I respectfully request I not be referred to by various members
or our alustruous community as "Blood." We are not privates in
the Army or high school students - which are the ONLY arenas in
which last-name-only referencing is deamed apropriate.

--
"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
-- Dan Quayle, 11/30/88
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satalite: