[meteorite-list] Re: Caveat Impactor

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:12 2004

> It is important that the general public has the right to know and to
> react in the manner that they see fit (even if the risk is small).

I agree, and that is why we've created the Risk page on the NEO website.
The main problem I see is that the odds of impact are often left out in
the news reporting or just glossed over.

When I get email from scared children and adults who think they are going
to die from an asteroid impact (that is 99.9999% not going to happen) because
they heard or read in the news that an asteroid is on its way to hit the
Earth, then I take exception to that.

Ron Baalke