[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunters

From: James_TOM Knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:06 2004

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Hello, That is not a problem, A dog trained for narcotics can "sniff out" any type of illegal drug. If you found a fresh new strewn field you had to have found&nbsp; at least one meteorite or else you would not know its a strewn field.... You let a dog smell the one meteorite turn it loose and it could find all the others for you. A team of men and dogs could search a large area in no time. If&nbsp;a dog could "sniff out" victims in an avalanche or a building collapse it could even find buried meteorites. I would like to give it a test. If any has or does, Please let me know! Tom<BR><BR></P></DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: magellon <MAGELLON_at_EARTHLINK.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: James_TOM Knudson <PEREGRINEFLIER_at_HOTMAIL.COM>,meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Meteorite hunters
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:16:12 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Tom,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I don't think it is far fetched to train dogs to sniff out
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;meteorites....
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;They are trained to sniff out all types of other things! The only
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;problem (not big) is that types/classifications may vary in smell. And
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;it is a good idea! Likewise was I amazed to learn that porpoise sonar is
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;so sensitive it can distinguish between equal size objects of brass and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of steel. How about a porpoise trained to search the not so deep ocean
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;bottoms for gold/silver and another for meteorites?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Best,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Ken
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;James_TOM Knudson wrote:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; Hello List, Someone from "down under", playfully, asked me about
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; training falcons for an extra set of eyes while meteorite hunting. It
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; would work great in an area void of terrestrial rocks. You could train
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; them to look for meteorites, But, of course, they could not tell the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; difference between rocks and rocks from space. I would think it would
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; be completely feasible to train a dog to sniff out fresh fusion
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; crusts. On a witnesed fall a group of hounds could sniff out a strewn
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; field in a fraction of the time a group of metal detecting meteorite
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; hunters could. List, Please let me know your thoughts on this matter.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; Thanks, Tom
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; -----------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: Click
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; Here
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; list Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>