[meteorite-list] Angrites, Ureilites, and Venus

From: Steven Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:01 2004

> I had proposed a theory(that apparently got little attention) that Ureilites
> may
> have originated from Venus...

If that were the case, we would expect to see the oxygen isotopic data spread
out along a line with slope of 1/2 on the three oxygen isotope plot. One of
the most puzzling aspects of the ureilites is that the oxygen isotopes fall
along a line with a slope of 1. That means they have undergone very little to
no fraction since they were pulled from the nebula. Because Venus is a
differentiated planet, the isotopes should have been fractionated. That's
just
one line of argument against venus as a ureilite parent body. I'm working on
two more lines now and I'll keep you updated.

Steven Singletary
54-1224
Dept. Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
M.I.T.
Cambridge, Ma., 02139
Jumper_at_MIT.EDU

Blue Skies!!