[meteorite-list] Denver Show - the Auction Friday Night

From: Ginger Mayfield <chikadee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:00 2004

The Denver Show is not the same this year because many of
our friends were not able to make it, including our
auctioneer, Michael Blood. Our Colorado Meteorite Club had
worked hard to put together the second annual meteorite
auction in Denver and there seemed to be an interest so we
decided to hold it in spite of the news of the week. You
will not hear any opinions from me about *greedy dealers*
etc., as I think the auction is more of a fun event than a
commercial endeavor. A chance for buyers (dealers are
buyers too) to get a little bargain here and there and for
people from around the world to come together with a mutual
interest in meteorites. We had about 30+ folks for the
auction and we did indeed have a good time which I think we
all needed and I don't feel a bit guilty about. We missed
Michael B. but Mike Jensen filled in and did a great job.
Anne B. and I did all the paper work (what a job and I
didn't have time to even bid on anything or take pictures),
others helped bring in the meteorites and show them around.
Many local COMET members had worked on getting our location,
food, chairs, etc., so it was really a great group effort
all the way around. I saw many old friends and met some new
ones. Met Mike Farmer for the first time after many e-mails
over the last two years. Met the Big Collector (Mark B.), a
really nice young guy who fit right in. Great to see so
many people did make it. I'm off to the Show in a few
minutes and hope to find a bargain or two and will most
likely be at our COMET party tonight. We really do miss all
of you who were not able to make it and will look forward to
more normal times for next year. Hope to get some pictures
today and this evening to post somewhere for those
interested. Even though I didn't hear any political
discussions at the auction last night (thank goodness) I'm
sure we were all still thinking about the people still
suffering.

Ginger