[meteorite-list] ebay auctions-

From: E.L.Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:03 2004

Hello Mark, Rett, List
The second item may be meteoritic -- based on appearance IMH But Experienced
Opinion
It could be pocket worn or tumbled but the regmaglypts are hard to simulate.

There is nothing about the first item which resembles any meteoritic material I
have ever seen. The description itself indicates that in his or her heart the
seller doesn't believe that this is a meteorite.--Hardly worth discussing.
As to your questions...
1. Etching and magnetic attraction go a long way as exclusion tests. Some
nickel content and there is a field test for that in Norton. Metallurgy should
show a nickel content between what? 5 and 15% give or take.

2. Item one is a man made artifact --10,000+ to one odds
    Item two is probably a meteorite based on appearance but is not necessarily
from NZ...
But if this is fusion crust it is fresh which makes it unlikely to be a tumbled
stone like Henbury or Silkote-Alin
Based on the photograph I could not exclude this as a bona fide meteorite.
Regards,
Elton