[meteorite-list] Geology Student Launches Search For Meteor Debris In Scotland

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:09 2004

Geology student launches search for meteor debris
The Scotsman (Scotland)
February 9, 2001

A meteorite hunter claimed today that fragments of the fireball
which streaked across the sky above Edinburgh could have landed on
Leith.

And he said that international dealers would be willing to pay large sums of
money for any fragments found by local people.

The fireball, caused by a meteor entering the earth?s atmosphere, led to a
rush of calls to police stations and observatories by worried onlookers on
Thursday night.

People who witnessed the orange and blue fireball feared that it could be a
falling aircraft or UFO.

Today, Edinburgh-based meteorite hunter Stuart Forbes launched a search for
fragments of the fireball.

The geology student said: "From the reports I have seen I think it is
possible that fragments of the fireball could have landed on the foreshore
at Leith or Portobello.

"I am going hunting for any bits that may have broken off the fireball and
landed on Earth."

Commenting on the demand for meteorite samples, he added: "Dealers are
willing to pay a lot of money for these fragments, even if they are only the
size of your thumb."

The fragments will be recognisable as they will be covered in a thin black
crust, unlike any other stone.