[meteorite-list] RE: SIPI Students to Help ID Meteorites

From: Verish, Robert S <RVerish_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:36 2004

Hello Ron,

At first blush this seemed to be great news, but now I'm starting to see
some down sides to this story. I would sure like to get more information
about this before I firm up my opinion, because it has raised a number
questions for me.

Before I go any farther, I must admit that it is no secret that I have an
agenda about NASA not having a "meteorite recovery" program (outside of
Antarctica). During the next decade we're going to spend a billion dollars
to bring back to Earth a "pristine" Mars rock, but not one dollar will be
spent in an attempt to find those Mars rocks that are already here sitting
out in the deserts as meteorites. Add this additional $402,000 grant to
that $1billion total and we still don't have a "field" recovery program
(outside of Antarctica).

Now that I've got that off of my chest, let's get back to those questions
about this grant:

Why does the grant money, earmarked to train students to identify
meteorites, have to come from NASA's budget?

Why does it take $402,000 to do this?

Why doesn't NASA have a more comprehensive, nation-wide plan to enlist the
help of students?

Is there an equal opportunity for the other institutions and museums that
receive "meteorites for identification" to obtain a grant to enlist local
students in this effort? (UCLA has an equal number of "meteorites" sent to
them, and there is a community college in Watts that they can enlist the
help of those students.)

Is this grant going to cause envy among the other institutions and museums?

After a SIPI student identifies a submitted rock as being a meteorite, is
there any portion of the grant budgeted for follow-up field work or recovery
efforts?

How far away is SIPI from UNM?

If I were to send my rock for identification to UNM, would it then be
forward to SIPI and have to "pass" the scrutiny of the students before I can
get an "expert" at UNM to look at my specimen? (Having been the victim of a
false-negative by a well-respected expert, this scenario of deferred
responsibility and delayed identification doesn't appeal to me.)

I don't expect you, Ron, to have an answer for all these questions, but if
you should come across any more information on this subject, I would sure
appreciate sharing it.

I hope my first question doesn't make me sound stingy, but in the wake of
the termination of the Pluto Express due to projected cost overruns and the
commitments to the numerous Mars programs here at JPL, these kinds of
questions will get asked. Closer to home, Ron, the Deep Space Network has
been levied with a new task to quickly build another network of Beam
Waveguide Antennas. This is going to cause a big bump in the budget.
Expect more scrutiny.

Also, Ron, you know that I've long been a booster of NASA's Educational
Outreach programs. I don't need to tell you about my involvement with the
conversion of Deep Space Station 12 to the Telescopes in Education Program.
I don't want to take away from NASA's involvement in this direction. I
would just like to see some expenditure of funds towards a more
comprehensive "meteorite recovery plan" that would bring together NASA, the
Department of the Interior, the Smithsonian Institution, and all the other
involved institutions and museums.

Oh yeah, Ron. Hope you have a Happy Holiday!
Bob V.