[meteorite-list] was Skull ...Cosby Creek Iron Meteorite

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 18:20:38 +0000 (UTC)

For perspective --and trivia. Be it remembered that the Cosby Creek 3 ton(?) Meteorite found in the early 1800s was "mined" for iron which was used to make Tennessee and Pennsylvania Long Rifles--and horse shoes.
In fact one of the test used by collectors of these 200 year old flintlocks to prove authenticy is testing for nickel content!
I don't know how much nor where the remainents of Cosby Creek are, but interesting to know that a large iron meteorite, found outside the Great Smokie Mountains National Park,? had a big part in settling the frounteer of Eastern America as well the defense of the Alamo and future Republic of Texas 180+ years ago.
I am pretty sure there was no discussion at the time about whether it should be kept as found forva future museum --or divided up, smelted and forged into rifle barrels.
The remaining unanswered question is what kind of tool did they use to break it up for transport?? This was pre wire saw and diamond blades. Whichever,? i understand it took years to complete the process.
Elton

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM, paleskiw--- via Meteorite-list<meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> wrote: I totally agree with you. Like all the?Seymchan Pallasite Meteorite Polished and Etched for saleI have hohkam tomohawk heads that are made from meteorites that are hundreds of years old.?Ancient cultures have used meteorites yo maje sp many tools?
Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device
------ Original message------From: John Lutzon via Meteorite-listDate: Thu, Sep 13, 2018 7:41 PMTo: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com;Cc: Subject:Re: [meteorite-list] Skull Carved Out of an Iron Meteorite______________________________________________

Visit our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/meteoritecentral and the Archives at http://www.meteorite-list-archives.com
Meteorite-list mailing list
Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com