[meteorite-list] Awesome Shock Melted (NWA 6963) Martian Specimens

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:50:13 -0700

Imagine the outrage if dealers borrowed (stole) NGC or PCGS numbers for
coins that another dealer had graded? Or stole BGS or PSA numbers to
describe just any old rare Baseball Cards or simply "borrowed" GIA
certification report numbers for Diamonds? They would be charged with
fraud.

Numbers and nomenclature assigned to NWA meteorites apply only to the
stones that were submitted and formally studied at the time of
classification. These are basically laboratory sample numbers and do
not apply to subsequently found stones or batches. Numbers and Total
Known Weights are officially assigned for a reason; mainly so
laboratories and research scientists know for sure what material they
are working with. Collectors see these numbers as some form of
protection believing that if they have a number assignment, they were
studied by a qualified research scientist, not some poser. Self-paired
stones have never been examined by a qualified scientists and were never
peer-reviewed thus they do not deserve to piggy-back official numbers.

Lets take a sector from the collectables market that is performing well
like 1960s era muscle cars for instance. Try entering a muscle car into
an auction, claiming it is original, and see what happens when the
numbers are found not to match? You will never be asked to consign
another car again and you will be blacklisted.

Collectors do care about legitimate number assignments and real TKWs so
should never settle for self-paired, undocumented stones placed on the
market.

Besides all that, members of the IMCA took an oath and agreed to following:

6. I agree that unclassified 'meteorites' that have not been verified
as meteorites might not be meteorites. I will not sell or trade any
meteorites or any questionable meteoritic material unless I first obtain
verification. I agree to specify verified but unclassified material as
such in connection with any sale, trade, or other transaction related to
the same. Meteoritical Society guidelines will prevail in the
circumstance of meteorite naming and pairing. I understand and agree
that, as a member, I may be required to provide further evidence to the
Board (or other relevant I.M.C.A. Committee), including but not limited
to: the verification process utilized for unclassified meteorites,
and/or documentation from an approved testing institution or approved
individual of the Board's choosing.