[meteorite-list] Michigan Meteorite

From: Sam Sabba <samsaba_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:27:17 +0000 (UTC)

Hello all!?
I sent a post in a few days ago but I think I caused confusion by sending it via my other email address that was not the one I registered with.? Let's see if this works better.
My 7 year old daughter begged me to take her meteorite hunting after I picked her up form school this past Wednesday.? My first reaction was to say no given the long odds, the cold, and the fact that she would miss a practice.? She persisted, and then I realized I was being a fool and only thinking of the effort and poor odds involved, and not of the journey and wonderful scientific lesson itself!? So we drove the 1 hour (easy compared to the travel time for the rest of you I see) and hunted a collection of Hamburg athletic fields.? We did not find anything, but had a good time in the process.? I see now that of course several pieces have been found (congrats to those that have found some).??I am completely new to this, and I wanted to ask a few questions to satisfy my curiosity as well as my daughter's.? Now that the professionals are in town, we will not be bothering to try again. :)During our search, we had expected that any pieces would have gone down into the ground at least a little bit.? I however see
 that several of the pieces that have been found were just laying in the snow on top of a frozen lake.? Is it normal for pieces of a meteorite to not land with enough force to break through ice or even frozen soil?? Would they normally at least break through unfrozen soil, such as on a lawn or athletic field?Also, given the approximately 2 inches of snow we had on the ground here, would heat be produced from the meteorite itself or from it's impact that would have melted snow around it in any meaningful way?My daughter is probably doing her show-and-tell presentation at school as I type this (using a regular rock we found to represent the potential meteorite) so it is too late to provide her details for that, but we are both still curious.Thank you and good luck to those who will still be looking!
Greg? ??