[meteorite-list] R: help me in understand analysis

From: Graham Ensor <graham.ensor_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 12:00:57 +0100

You say...."It is up to dealers to prove what they are selling is
legitimate, not collectors/buyers after the transaction. Why should a
buyer have to ask for provenance and the chain of custody directly to the
person named in a Meteoritical Bulletin? It is up to dealers to provide
this information up front. Who in their right mind would pay top dollar
for untested and unclassified stones being put on the market as planetary
pieces?"

The answer to that is that you would Adam....that is exactly how you first
bought in numerous rare pieces from NWA and then got them classified and
published. You then sell them with a link to the Bulletin and thus the
science....no more chain of provenance than that. Just your own and lab
certification.

This is exactly what I see happening at the moment with many other dealers
and even just collectors now...they are all doing the same as you did and
proudly bringing new material to science and the collectors market. I see
nothing wrong with that and I do not see all this so called fraudulent
material on the market. If you are seeing this meteorwrong or terrestrial
breccia material being sold by the dealers we would be very glad if you
could share links with us to that material or self paired so we are aware
of it and can decide ourselves. (Please let us know how you know it is
terrestrial breccia). I would certainly telling people. I called one
leading dealer out recently because they were saying the red coating on
some recent lunar was fusion crust and thus rare when it is actually desert
soil when examined at the lab and easily cleaned off. There are always a
few amateurs and fraudsters, not well known dealers...trying on...but you
seem to be saying more than that.

I admit people have to be careful when buying and need to see that the
material has been analysed at the lab if being sold as a classified type.
Those buying unclassified material have to take the risks like you and I
have always done and then it stays unclassified unless we make the effort
to donate parts and get the science done.

I just don't see what you are seeing and many other dealers are me asking
what you are talking about...please share something concrete with us if you
are seeing this. It is important for the confidence of the market in
general.

Graham