[meteorite-list] Monze Day - Oct 5

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 21:48:57 -0400

Happy Fall Day anniversary to Monze - October 5, 1950 ... the 66th!

Here on Florida's coast a few kind words to Chief Monze Mukulukulu to go easy on us as we look down the barrel of Hurricane Matthew... with an offering of my first wild tomatoes from the volunteer fall crop.

Monze Mukulukulu of the Tonga is legendary in that he was the first Monze Chief and has a special place as Sunshine and Rain Bringer to his people. He's legendary in the sense that when he passed into the next world, no body was found and he is said in Tonga tradition to have ascended to the sky to regulate the rains after the dry season.

Offerings are made to the current Chief Monze to honor Mukulukulu every year in early July during their very dry winter season when rains are crucial --- the offerings are of iron hand made hoeing implements and symbolically the current Chief Monze takes his role and eats the first harvest.

Monze is named for the ancient Monze Chief, and October begins the countdown to the end of the dry periods and the most pleasant weather. Hopefully Chief Mukulukulu can bring some of the rain from here to his dry but fertile fields of Monze,

Kindest wishes
Doug