[meteorite-list] R: iron meteorite natural color

From: John Lutzon <jl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 23:26:07 -0500

Doug,

I do admire you and would like to question you and the whole question of "natural" patina......
These guys have been floating out there for Billions of years and only when they arrive here
and burn to a crisp (which I personally love a bubbly black coating) do we call it natural.
When these metal chunks first formed and cooled they may have shined like a new coin.

This jelly or that coating will all introduce "stuff" on and into said object. I agrre with you
as far as cleaning and then acetone (to, again, de-grease). After that, the most natural way
to darken and protect iron is the hundreds of years old method of forming iron oxide and
boiling. This process leaves no chemicals on the object. The most difficult part of doing
this process is the cleaning and de-greasing---after that just put a small amount or reagent
in the bottom of household food container, hang the meteorite and wait about 8 hours (varies),
take out and put in a pot of boiling water. The red/brown iron oxide somehow turns black
and when brushed off leaves a protective dark finish. Simple. Every blued gun you've ever seen
has had this oxidation method applied and after hundreds of years some of them look pritine.

As I do not know if this process will work on an iron such as Campo, I (although in a wheelchair)
have decided to try this method on one of my smaller 5.45Kg individuals. Although i'm more
than happy with its present apperance, which can be seen here, i'll give it a go.
http://www.encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com/collection.aspx?id=2639
As there were no comments on my original post, i'll do it and get back with the results, pics.

All best to all, John