[meteorite-list] Another warning re sales to Italy

From: dean bessey <themeteoriteshop_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:33:16 +0000 (UTC)

Well Joachim yes one would normally use common sense and agree with you.
When I stopped sending to Italy 7 or 8 or so years ago I kept track and had 7 of the previous 10 packages to Italy lost in the mail and had to deal with a paypal chargeback (And some negative feedbacks on ebay). I figured that 7 of ten cancelled out the benefit of lost sales so I stopped shipping to Italy.
I never sent another package to Italy until about two years ago when this Davide Urbinati person emailed me wondering why I don't send to Italy and that it as safe to send him stuff. I agreed to the sale and sent him the $300 worth of Bensour via Registered mail with a tracking number.
At the same time I thought "This is silly - blocking all those potential Italian customers from bidding because of a few losses in the mail 5 or 10 years ago. So I unblocked all of Italy and let Italians buy from me again. Over the next several months (Plus Davide Urbinati's theft of my Bensour) three of the four packages that I sent to Italy resulted in a paypal chargeback. And not one of them sent me an email before filing the chargeback with paypal. Like shopping mall owners having to deal with shoplifting you generally just write it off as paypal always refunds the money so I again just blocked Italy from my auctions.
Normally I get maybe 3 or 4 chargebacks a year and I sell thousands of items a year on ebay. So even now I no longer accept bids from people in Italy.
This theft of the $300 worth of Bensour is memorable and a bit of a sore point with me because its the largest ever loss through a paypal chargeback that I have ever had and it was after I made a decision to never send stuff to Italy again. I almost blame Davide Urbinati for the following three losses from ebay sales not related to him for the following 3 ebay chargebacks to other Italy bidders.

So yes your comment that "Italy has more than 60 Million people. Most are honest and kind." should be correct (I really loved Italy the couple times that I have been there and so want to go back) but there is a statistically significant issue with sending mail to Italy. You will find that its not just me but many ebay sellers wont send stuff to Italy so I am not the only ebay seller with an unusual amount of problems with mail to Italy. The only thing that I can figure is that there must be a bunch of mafia gangs preying on mail sellers as I have a very hard time believing that the Italian post office is that bad and loses such a huge amount of mail. I don't know why so many mailed packages to Italy results in losses but for some reason they do.

But for now I don't generally send mail to Italy.

Sincerely
dean