[meteorite-list] Cutting An Iron

From: John Pierce <lumin9_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 18:33:41 -0700

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I joined recently because I found a lovely
nickel-iron meteorite, and that has spurred my further interest in this
subject. My meteorite has been confirmed as the real thing by staff of the
Meteorite Lab at Portland State University, who would like to perform
classification. It is 11.2 kg, and according to PSU staff, it will be only
the seventh classified meteorite ever found in the state of Oregon.

I?ve enjoyed reading these archives, but I haven?t yet been able to find
answer to my question.

I?m posting here to ask if anyone has any experience cutting an iron
meteorite with the CBN blade that is sold by Johnson Brothers Lapidary. They
advertise it as just the thing for cutting irons. I?m interested to know
anything about blade life, rim speed, feed rate, and using plain water as a
coolant/lubricant. For cutting the analysis sample, I have machining
experience and very suitable tools, except for the blade, which I would
like to be a circular blade.

I welcome replies here on the forum, or by private email.

Kind regards,

John