[meteorite-list] Drift of Draconid Radiant

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 01:28:44 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all -

For the last several years, I have been speaking at Serpent Mound:

http://ancientearthworksproject.org/1/post/2014/07/new-radiocarbon-dates-suggest-serpent-mound-is-more-than-2000-years-old.html

Originally and abysmally, this structure was dated by Brad Lepper to the 1066 CE appearance of Halley's Comet.

It appears clear from the structure itself that it was meant to reflect the constellation Draco,
although Its builders the Andaste were genocidally exterminated
before any detailed record was made of their astronomy.

While the weather here in Ohio usually prevents viewing the Draconids,
it appears they would be visible a month or a month and a half earlier at the time this site was first cleared,
sometime after 1,000 BCE or so.
Note especially the later construction ca 360 BCE.
We currently have no idea what triggered that.

Draco's radiant's location has implications as far as Gobekli Tepe's alignments.
Has the Earth been hit by trwo cometary streams in the last 15,000 years, both Giacbinii Zinner and Encke?
In other words, precisely how bad is the cometary impact hazard?
Has the recent rate of cometary injection been high, or is this normal?

E.P.