[meteorite-list] Marissa's meteorite hunt - day 1 report

From: Michael Mulgrew <mikestang_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 14:33:17 -0700

Hello, List!

It will be a few days before all our pictures and stories make their
way to the web, but in the mean time I at least wanted to link you all
to the photos I tweeted from the field and provide a bit of narrative.
I'm not sure how well twitter supports direct links to photos, but
hopefully this will work:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFtEhcrVIAAdFrW.jpg:large
Stewart Valley, Nevada. 30 minutes into the hunt and three people had
already found meteorites, most importantly was Marissa with her first!
 This picture shows Rogan documenting his find, and Marissa and Autumn
(Marissa's aide) checking out Marissa's find.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFtEhzJUEAAa2HS.jpg:large
Marissa's first find, most probably a fragment of H6 chondrite.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFuU_u5UUAAPFqC.jpg:large
Day 2, the California side of Stewart Valley. The forces that shaped
the valley are displayed in the rock layers behind her, some bending
all the way back on themselves.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFvlnSJUMAAKDJv.jpg:large
Dinner after Day 2 hunt.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFyZj9xUIAA20ET.jpg:large
Day 3, bubble chair loaded and heading to Stump Spring DCA.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFzNrVIVEAAAMp_.jpg:large
It was a gorgeous day in the desert, temp was about 80*F/27*C, and a
storm was playing in the mountains to our north. The rain would come
down the range in huge sheets, only to evaporate away over the open
desert.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFzexGIVEAAQoyR.jpg:large
Lots to look at out at Stump Spring; the rocks, the sky, the mountains...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFzkkIcVEAALnmd.jpg:large
To boldly go...
Over Marissa's right shoulder is the storm phenomena I described above.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CF0Su4DUUAAVz8j.jpg:large
After a few hours at Stump Spring we returned to StV to finish out Day 3.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CF07czfUsAAcGZM.jpg:large
Dinner back at the hotel, we brought all our finds (except Debbie's
two from day 1, they were in the hotel room, oops). Rogan's on the
left, Marissa's in the middle (her second find has fusion crust along
one edge, the fragments with crust are much less common at StV), mine
on the right.

I think Rogan may have posted some video on facebook already, but
since I don't use it I couldn't tell you anything else. :)

Happy hunting!
Michael in so. Cal.