[meteorite-list] Notice to eBay Meteorite Sellers

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 20:28:13 -0500

Hi Ron,

That is exactly the line of thinking I had in mind. I try not to
share my financial information online anywhere unless it's necessary
and then it is through PayPal only. If PayPal gets hacked, fine.

eBay, Facebook, Twitter, or any other websites do not need direct
access to my bank accounts.

If I sell on eBay, then eBay has a clear and understandable need to
access your financial information - to pay your seller fees, or to
reimburse in the case of seller fraud.

But, if I am not selling, then why should I link my account? What is
the benefit to me as a buyer?

Now, let's look at the ongoing increase in buyer fraud and
PayPal-manipulation by unethical buyers. eBay might have an interest
in making sure they have greater access to a buyer's information, just
in case the buyer commits a clear case of fraud. eBay and the seller
would have greater potential recourse against a criminal buyer. So
perhaps this seller setting requirement is a new option to combat
buyer fraud? Maybe this is a new setting in the seller dashboard
somewhere. If it is, I cannot see it, because I poked around in the
seller settings just to look.

I will take a screen shot of it the next time I encounter it. I think
one of the sellers was a dealer in Europe, maybe France. One of the
dealers was a US-based one.

Best regards,

MikeG

--