[meteorite-list] Meteorite Digest Volume 131 Issue 19 (and a personal note)

From: Michael Farmer <mike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 06:10:45 -0700

Since you don't participate on Facebook, you have no idea what is discussed on there.......
With instant photos uploaded whenever you want. Have something to sell, upload a photo, on a hunting trip, upload a photo or a thousand of them into an album. Everyone can flow in real time. Last year during my Chelyabinsk hunt in Mother Russia, I could make finds and have photos and videos playing around the world in a few seconds, people were seeing my 1.2 kilo meteorite find pretty much as soon as I did, uploaded videos on the spot and my wife could see my meteorite from the other side of the world as I was picking it up.

It is social media, not only to be used for gladiator politics (my favorite) or endless kittens but also scientific use as well. I was updating my google earth strew field map on the spot as finds were made and sharing it with scientists back in USA who were helping tell me where to hunt! Live.

Somehow I highly doubt the NSA is really that interested in some American living in Costa Rica unless your income is being augmented via nefarious means and you like to talk about it. And NSA can access any type of electronic media, Facebook is hardly their limit.
Both mediums of communication are useful. Perhaps try Facebook before you assume what is going on there.
Michael Farmer

Sent from my iPhone