[meteorite-list] friction or ram pressure?

From: Francesco Moser <cojack_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:54:21 +0100

Hi all!
I have a question for you regarding falling stars and fireballs!
Which is the physical process that heats a meteoroid during his travel through the atmosphere?
Is the friction with the air molecules or the ram pressure of the shock wave in front of the meteoroid?

I think, but maybe I'm wrong:
for the smaller meteoroids like the one that generate the falling stars the main process is the friction, instead for the bigger meteoroid like the one that generate meteorite on the ground or for example for a Space Ship like the Space Shuttle the main process is the ram pressure ... I'm right?

Thanks a lot!!!

Francesco