[meteorite-list] What is more important in classification?

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:30:42 -0800

I always want a doubly-polished thin section to do classification of stony
meteorites. To determine the petrologic type of a chondrite, it is useful
to gauge the degree of recrystallization (best done in transmitted light)
and look for the size of plagioclase grains (which can be done in an SEM,
BSE mode of an electron microprobe, and in reflected light, since
plagioclase is a darker gray than olivine or pyroxene). To assess the
degree of weathering, reflected light is most useful. The probe, of course,
will give you the olivine, pyroxene, plagioclase, kamacite, etc.
compositions. But in general, in order to get a feel for a stony meteorite
(in terms of shock, brecciation, recrystallization, abundance of matrix
material, etc.), I want to be able to use the probe and see the rock in
transmitted and reflected light. I can also then probe interesting features
that reveal themselves with the petrographic microscope. I don't worry so
much about the fuzzy line between classification and research.
Alan

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567