[meteorite-list] What is more important in classification?

From: Jim Wooddell <jim.wooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 08:57:59 -0700

Hi all!

Just a few general questions...

The involves a mount and a thin section.

What is more important now-a-days in classification? This mainly
revolves some questions I have that I am
not sure how to ask...mainly to those that classify.

If you have a million dollar Scanning Election Microscope and can probe
around and
can determine classification from the geochem and BSE images, how
important is it to see the transmitted and reflected features in a
petrographic microscope?

I suppose my thoughts and questions are possibly in reference to new
technology vs. old
technology....maybe not...but close and really deeper than just yes and
no answers. Not that SEM's are new technology...just saying.

I was told a while back you can not classify without both. So Why???
Are the SEM's not capable of doing what
a petrographic microscope can do?

Thanks!

Jim