[meteorite-list] KATOL (L6) is official

From: Greg Hupé <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 10:40:17 -0500

Hi Jim,

I wouldn't call it "lazy science", but I agree with a numbering system when
possible, but when there are several people from around the world involved
in a fall collecting stones, it can be impossible to get everyone to go
along with the numbering system. Take Chelyabinsk for instance, impossible
to number each stone because of the hundreds of people collecting.

I think the next best thing is to name/number oddities like the Katol irons
as maybe "Katol - iron 001". Almahata Sitta was a rare occurrence since one
initial scientist/museum had all of the stones that came out and it was easy
to assign numbers, same with the single dealer who first offered the variety
of stones.

Best Regards,
Greg

====================
Greg Hup?
The Hup? Collection
gmhupe at centurylink.net
www.NaturesVault.net (Online Catalog & Reference Site)
www.LunarRock.com (Online Planetary Meteorite Site)
NaturesVault (Facebook, Pinterest & eBay)
http://www.facebook.com/NaturesVault
http://pinterest.com/NaturesVault
IMCA 3163