[meteorite-list] Etching advice

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:11:38 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I realize many people ask basic etching advice on the list, but this request is of a more advanced type. I also realize that etching is an art form with many different styles and techniques that some may not be willing to share publicly. So, feel free to respond to all, just to me or not at all. :-)

If you wish to correspond with me alone but want the information to remain confidential, please tell me so and I will not share it if that is your wish.

I am using Nital and ferric chloride (FC) for my etching depending on the effect I want. However, one thing I am having trouble achieving is the bright etch that some of our European artisans are able to achieve. I am polishing my surfaces to a very high gloss using a buffing wheel before I etch. After, I wash them with dishwashing soap to remove any oils and dry them thoroughly. FC does not provide a bright etch, but Nital (10% solution) should and that is where I am having trouble.?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mendy Ouzillou?