[meteorite-list] Science Journal: Earth's water didn't come from comets, scientists now say

From: Michael Mulgrew <mikestang_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:50:32 -0800

I am curious how such a definitive conclusion can be reached from the
analysis of a singular cometary body? How many comets are out there
floating around the solar system? I guess they are assuming all
comets have the same make-up? Seems a bit short sighted to me,
considering, for example, how diverse asteroidal composition is.
Imagine if we landed a probe on one asteroid, then extrapolated the
results of that landing to apply to all asteroids, what a gross
neglect of diversity that would be.

Hopefully I'm missing something here and someone will chime in and
explain it to me.

Michael in so. Cal.