[meteorite-list] Burning Man Meteorite

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:11:35 -0400

Hi List,

I talked to one of my old high-school friends today and he told me
something interesting that I did not know.

He goes to Burning Man every year and the last time he went, he
learned that each Burning Man has a large iron meteorite in the base
that supports the Man. After they burn him, they sift through the
ashes and recover the meteorite to be used again.

I asked him what kind of meteorite it was, and he said that it was
Chinese and over 500 years old, and that was all he knew. Well, it's
obviously a Nantan, and I guess I don't have a problem with
mistreating that meteorite since Nantans are so common. Heck, it
might not even be a real meteorite, if they bought it off eBay, given
the high number of bogus Nantans offered there by sellers in China.

Was anyone else aware of this Burning Man tradition involving the
meteorite? And if so, are there any details available regarding the
source of the meteorite, the size, etc?

Best regards,

MikeG

--