[meteorite-list] Find coordinates for recent falls

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 11:38:08 -0700

Hi Jim,

Okay -- it seemed like you were making a point of singling out
Stanfield as some anomaly, but I gather you were just mentioning
it because it's the most recent case and would seem to signal
a return to the "old ways" after the rare triplet of coordinate
sharing on Sutter's Mill, Battle Mountain and Novato. I still
think it's too soon to throw up Indian Butte/Stanfield as a
poster child for coordinate secrecy -- the coordinates may
eventually be made public by the finders. Certainly the finds
are being numbered in much the same way that they were for the
Nevada and California falls. The other examples I mentioned are
better ones, IMO, since sufficient time has passed that if
coordinates were going to be made public, they would have been
by now. Btw, I want to add that I was mistaken about Mifflin --
I was reminded by Mike Miller that Eric Wichman did compile and
make public a detailed map of a significant fraction of the
finds there. So Mifflin is really the first example of a fall
where significant sharing of find information took place.

--Rob