[meteorite-list] NWA 7325 - Mercurian or not?

From: Stefan Ralew <stefan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:58:26 +0100

Hello Melinda, List,

thank you for your interesting post. Is the possible age of NWA 7325 really
a contradiction? The MIT published a report a few weeks ago, in which a very
old surface when mercury is suspected.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/mercury-may-have-harbored-ancient-magma-ocean-0221.html

"...scientists at MIT have proposed that Mercury may have harbored a large,
roiling ocean of magma very early in its history, shortly after its
formation about 4.5 billion years ago...

 "The thing that's really amazing on Mercury is, this didn't happen
yesterday," says Timothy Grove, a professor of geology at MIT. "The crust is
probably more than 4 billion years old, so this magma ocean is a really
ancient feature." "

For me, it is not unlikely that there are large areas with 4.5 billion year
old rocks on mercury (mixed with younger lava plains). But of course, as Dr.
Irving wrote in his abstract, Mercury is "only" a possible candidate for the
origin of this absolutely unique meteorite, hopefully further research will
tell us more about it. But it seems definitely a planetary rock! There are
already some newer results as in the abstract, which are very amazing and
soon will be presented by Dr. Irving. In general, the research on NWA 7325
ist still in its beginning.

By the way, I have spoken to many scientists and none of them has ever seen
a similar meteorite. It is an absolutely unique and intriguing find. And
yes, it?s a possible piece of Mercury!:-)

Best regards,
Stefan

www.sr-meteorites.de