[meteorite-list] Astrobiologists Find Stuff

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:46:01 -0500

Guys, List,

What life needs is a source of energy that can be
stored and utilized when needed. Without these
energy exchanges there is no life. That's why you
have to eat breakfast.

This energetic system requires elements that are
cosmically abundant, on planets large and cool
enough to retain a gaseous reservoir of a reactive
element (called an atmosphere) and a fluid reservoir
of a working solvent to facilitate and participate in
those reactions (called an ocean).

There are many possible systems of energy
exchange, but their LIKELIHOOD depends on
the cosmic abundance of the elements involved
and the likelihood of their entering into
combinations with other common elements.

If you grab a fistful of solar nebula you have
hydrogen, helium, and as impurities, oxygen and
nitrogen, BUT the oxygen and nitrogen combine
easily with hydrogen, so you end up with an
atmosphere of hydrogen, helium, with ammonia
and methane as impurities.

We represent a CHON life system, but fluorine is
more energetic than oxygen and yields more bang
for the buck. So, why don't we have a CHFN life
system? The reason is that fluorine grabs on so
tight it can't be split off again with the energies
available at a planetary surface. Ammonia is a
better solvent than water but its liquid range of
fluid temperatures is so narrow that it would make
a lousy ocean.

The reactive elements for life are all right there on the
periodic chart in a stack: fluorine, oxygen, chlorine,
bromine, iodine. At first blush, life could be based on
any of them, but some are more unlikely than others.

Since I don't want to write twenty pages of chemistry,
I suggest you go the link given below;
http://www.bestebooksworld.com/showeBook.asp?link=24235
and download the PDF of this little 1957 book, "Only
A Trillion." Read Chapter Six, "Planets Have An Air About
Them," by Isaac Asimov who, being both a chemist by
trade and a better writer than I, can explain the whole
range of possible life systems and how they might work
in a marvelous fashion.

Sterling K. Webb