[meteorite-list] Stolen Meteorites

From: Anne Black <impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:23:41 -0400 (EDT)

Eric Twelker is having trouble posting to the List.
I know it is against the rules to forward emails but this is really
VERY important, Please read.
(Sorry Art!)

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com

I have been asked to write this letter by a friend and colleague in the
meteorite community.

        There has been major theft of rare and valuable material being shipped
from
Tucson. Specimens were taken from a shipping box after placement with
shipping company in Tucson. Specimens were then replaced by pieces of
asphalt
and the box was then shipped to my friend at his home. Investigation
with the
shipper and by the police at the point of destination revealed who was
responsible for taking the material. That person was contacted and
has
admitted taking the pieces, but he is refusing to return the material
using the
leverage of alleged customs violations. My friend wants his material
back
without conditions and doesn't want it tied up in a long court case.
The
perpetrator does not think my friend is serious about pressing charges
and will
not seek return of his material. I can assure this list that my friend
is
serious and will press charges if the material is not returned. The
evidence is
overwhelming.

        My friend has prepared a web page of the missing material which we
will share
with the list if this matter is not resolved by tomorrow. Until then,
people on
this list need to be very careful about what they buy and who they buy
it from.
If you are buying planetary or museum label pieces or have been offered
such
pieces, please take extreme care. The quantity of material is quite
large. You
are welcome to contact me to if you have a question about a specific
piece you
are considering.

        At this time our concern is getting the material back in good shape.
We are
not identifying those involved. If charges are brought--and if this is
not
resolved immediately, we expect charges would be within a week--then of
course
the names would be known then.

        Eric Twelker