[meteorite-list] Meteorite market talk on radio

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 22:42:36 -0500

List,
I have been around Bob Haag (this radio voice does not sound like bob?) and the meteorite world long enough to say that in my opinion, Bob Haag and The Meteorite Men TV show have done nothing but, improve the popularity of meteorites and those men have represented us well. These are the rock stars of our field. To see the look in the eyes of the kids while getting Geoff's autograph is truly a sight to see. Geoff should make us all proud.
So, before you knock them please look at the real cause of the problems;
1) It all started when a certain Meteorite Man was (wrongly) jailed for attempting to export a 37 ton iron meteorite from Argentina. {Made the press}
1) We do have NYT articles that put out bad information. {made the press}
2) Whether it's true or not The Egyptian officials themselves say it is illegal to export their meteorites. {made the press}
3) Whether it's true or not We also have India officials saying it is illegal to export it's meteorites. {made the press}
4) We also have incidents where people admit to being tried , convicted and imprisoned for illegal mining of meteorites. And then further publicize it on the local news. {made the press}
5) And of coarse there are all of the news stories about the value of meteorites. {made the press}
6). Too many more stories to list here but, the point is that the situation this field is in today cannot be blamed on any one single thing but can be attributed to many things.
I see the field as growing and improving dramatically.
Our genius scientists are discovering more and more points of interest and our semi-genius hunters are finding more and more good material.
It's all good.
Carl
Meteoritemax

--