[meteorite-list] Rock Or Meteorite? Strange Object Crashes Through Roof Of Local Business

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 02:14:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,
Here is a "resend" of another post that I sent to the List earlier today (but it never appeared in the Archives):

Re: [meteorite-list] Rock Or Meteorite? Strange Object Crashes Through Roof Of Local Business
From
????* Robert Verish??
????* James Beauchamp ???
????* Jodie Reynolds??
CC
????* Meteorite Central???

Hello All,

I'm ready to "close the books" on this Merciless Mercer Meteor-Wrong.

The specimen in question was brought to the Mineralogy Department of the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh, PA.
According to the Department head-mineralogist:?
based upon a visual examination with only the aid of a microscope and a
magnet (but with no analytical testing), he was still able to easily
determine that this object was composed of a man-made metallic
substance, based upon these observations:
1. It was not attracted to a magnet.
2. It had evidence of mechanical abrasion and heat discoloration, as if it were trapped in some kind of machinery and heated through friction.?
3. It also had plenty of wood fibers adhered to the exterior when examined under the microscope.?
4. Most of the exterior was weathered but the freshly abraded areas were bright silver.
5. It scratched with moderate difficulty with a teasing needle and had an inclusion of a slag-like material with air bubbles in it.
Conclusion:
Probably a chunk of something from one of the mills
that had been weathering outside until caught up in some kind of
machinery. How it ended up going through a third story roof is anyone?s guess!

At least this Mercer Mystery was brought to a speedy resolution, unlike that
Freehold Township Fiasco in New Jersey: