[meteorite-list] Novato meteorite

From: Steve <meteorhntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:59:18 -0600

John, Peter and List,

This first part goes to John and Peter. The second part is not for them as they are already keenly aware of and most likely agree with my observations of the market forces.

I am pretty certain the one and only piece of Novato that will ever be sold publicly was the small slice that sold on EBay back about 2 weeks after the fall.

It is my understanding that all the pieces are permanently in "strong hands" and some may never change possession again until maybe 75 years from now.

Second part:

That is the gamble with the new falls. The prices are "high" at first, then they "always" come down later...or not. Sometimes they never ever show up again, for any price, in one's lifetime. I would guess that even though the slice sold for, what about $155/gram, I doubt if someone wanted to offer $1,000/g they could not get any of it now from those that have some.

Then again, an open offer for $1,000 per gram might get some locals to go out and find another piece! But if a whole new piece showed up, then the value would drop from $1,000 per gram down to around $300/g wouldn't it?

Crazy how market forces work isn't it?

Steve Arnold

Sent from my iPhone