[meteorite-list] T-shirt (and French Fall)

From: Prof. Zelimir Gabelica Université de Haute Alsace ENSCMu, <zelimir.gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 00:05:21 +0100

Hi Mike, List,

Here is a rapid translation of the essentials of the St Caprais fall report:

----------
"On Sunday January 28, 1883 at 2:45 (p.m.) the whole population of St
Caprais, Gironde Department (ZG Note: This is the Bordeaux area, thus
near parallel 40? North) was frightened by a series of 5 violent shots
("bangs") comparable to cannon shots, which were followed a noise
(rumbling ?) resembling a shooting.

People who stood outside their houses noticed a black cloud towards
the direction where the noise came from: the black cloud was like an
explosion smoke, very different from the ordinary clouds covering
(that day) the whole skies.

2 farmers (Perrotin father & son) noticed an ignited object falling in
the South-East direction, so close from where they stood so that they
could notice the exact place where the object hit the ground.

Nobody considered seeking the aerolite the same day. But the next day,
a Mr. Elliot, having consulted the witnesses, found at that exact
place a dense stone weighing 282.5 grams, burried 0.1 meter deep, the
hole dimensions on the surface being 0.06 x 0.04 m. ....

....The number of shots heard at St Caprais and in the neighboring
villages could assume the presence of other fragments; but the latter,
if ever existed, were never collected (ZG note: it is not said that
they were never FOUND...)
-------------------------

The rest of the text deals with some aerolite characteristics,
probably not worth further translation.

This is thus a rapid translation of the major events of interest for
the issue, of concern. I believe Bernd, who is sure as fluent in
French as myself, would agree.

Apparently this does not trow more light to the mystery as it was
obviously the winter time and even around Bordeaux, there should not
be any wheat (or alike) in the fields....

Bernd is right to point out that this painting can be "a view of an
artist", possibly painted some time after the event (perhaps in Summer
time ?)

More ideas ?

Zelimir
--