[meteorite-list] Chebarkul - Chelyabinsk - Is it a "hammer" ???

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:45:45 -0500

Hi List,

Quick question for hammer collectors :

If meteorites are recovered from this event, and these recovered
meteorites did not actually strike anything manmade, would this fall
still have any reason to be labeled as a "hammer" ?

Does damage from an impact shockwave count towards this fall being a hammer?

I know this is sticky issue to some - the term "hammer fall" is not
widely accepted and it's validity has been hotly debated on this list
previously. This Russian event is spectacular for many reasons and
does not need to be "promoted" to hammer status if it doesn't deserve
such status.

Possible labels for this fall :

1) fall (of course)

2) witnessed fall (duh!)

3) observed fall (yes)

4) hammer fall (? - questionable at best)

5) crater-maker (does a hole in an ice-sheet count as a "crater"?)

6) wake-up call : time to start seriously considering an effective
system to detect these "small" threats which fall under the
size-detection threshold of larger observing networks. It's amazing
that an object with the power to flatten a city slipped through
undetected, despite most of the world's telescopes being pointed
upwards for about a month preceding the impact.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com