[meteorite-list] Russia mega meteor and asteroid 2012DA14 related, yes I think so...

From: Bjorn Sorheim <astrogeo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:24:17 +0100

Thanks for your general positive comment on this discussion.
I would agree with you on the .'more and more skeptical' about some
output of so called scientific knowlegde over the years.

Say any scientist or budding scientist have a model on some kind of aspect
of nature. The model can be quite ok according to exact knowledge and
observation
about this part of nature.
However, if you wrongly enter the wrong numbers (because of lack of good
observations or
other misconceptions or sloppy or rushed work) the good quality model won't
help you, you end up
with hopeless results. Be aware of this situation. And this situation
happen all the time in science,
an incredible unfounded input of bad numbers. Particulary in astronomy, I
would say, where so
much is hidden in the darkness of space and unrepeatable fleeting observations.

Take the case Chicxulub for instance. All of this hopeless numbers swirling
about about size, energy,
entry angle, mass etc. Did it ever happen? Just 65 mill. years since it
happened and where the
hell is its crater rim?? Should have been higher than Himalaya! Where is
it?? Who observed this anyway :)
Assumptions, upon assumptions. Yet you hear dinosaur-killer all over the
popular scientific press,
Discovery, National Geographic channel, etc, etc.
Serious geologist says the reason the dinosaurs perished was outpouring of
kilometers thick lava sheets
expanding several times the size of my country. Polluted the atmosphere.
They have found that dinosaurs died
out over hundred thousands of years, not in an instant as the impact theory
will have it.
Super-volcano at the Deccan traps. No asteroid needed. Yet astronomers pour
out their staggering Chicxulub numbers an an increasing rate. Easy to lie
with numbers...

Take also the case of Carancas, Peru, Sept 15., 2007. Every known celestial
mechanican, geologist, astronomer,
meteoriticist denied the explosion at Carancas, Peru was a meteorite to the
press. This was going on for weeks.
The sick hords of people was just sick, a meteorite fall does not make you
sick, they said.
This was an metan explosion, military detonation at the border, whatever,
but not a meteorite, the 'experts' said, actually the real experts.
Meteorites does not produce a 13 m crater! The combined scientific elite
denied this case. The Peruvian press still kept on reporting about the
meteorite.
They were all put to shame when the Bureau of Mines (or similar name) in
Lima, released their scientific study of the
fragments from the crater. It was soon in Meteoritical Bulletin thereafter.
Going against all science establishments in the developed world. This
disgraceful story was hardly commented afterwards by anyone.
So science can really go astray, and they often behave like a flock of
volwes or a flock of sheep. So be alert and aware...

Bj?rn S?rheim