[meteorite-list] Glorieta Hunt - "Diggers" episode Tonight NGC

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 17:07:07 -0700 (PDT)

These kind of people nearly ruined my last great hobby of treasure hunting.? My brother, Greg and I have enjoyed treasure hunting before they were even born when our father purchased a Whites metal detector for us in 1975.?? It was considered a wholesome hobby back then.

A few bad apples destroyed property and disrespected land owners so this hobby nearly died over two decades ago.? It has taken this long to just start to repair the damage left in the wake of a few.? Now we have a new set of idiots attracting attention all over again.? It is best to enjoy your finds among friends and fellow treasure hunters than to publicize them.

The BLM directly stated in their memo that it was increased awareness (media) that brought to their attention the need to protect meteorites.? Here in Nevada, that means that now 90% of all once searchable land is now restricted. In Washington and Oregon, 100% of public land is now off limits.? Arizona is next. ? We should learn from treasure, artifact and fossil hunters who now only have 1/100th the land available for searching!

Thankfully these media Diggers didn't find a meteorite!? They area already rerunning Glorieta episode again tonight. Cable TV must be desperate for filler!

Adam