[meteorite-list] Phil Plait "Bad Astronomy" Article - Chelyabinsk Parent Body

From: Maurizio Eltri <maurizio.eltri_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:08:21 +0200

Hi Listees,

-I apologize for the automatic translation of the letter-

I'm certainly not an expert in the field and probably for this
reason, I can not understand what 'I believe to be an inconsistency
between the
work done by the authors (C. de la Fuente Marcos, R. de la Fuente
Marcos) and some mineralogical analysis obtained by researchers
Russian Academy of Sciences.
The latter showed that the rocks constituents
the meteorites falling in Chelyabinsk, have an age 'exposure to
cosmic radiation of 31 million years.
While in the article in question, the two researchers say that the
asteroids probably belonging, as the source, to the same group which
was part of the meteoroid Chelyabinsk, for reasons related to the
gravitational perturbations exerted by Mars, Venus, Ceres and the
Earth-Moon system, can not 'be more' old 20000 or 40000 years.
I would be inclined to think that a meteoroid of about 15 meters in
31 million years has been subjected to so many actions both
perturbative gravitational and non-gravitational, which today would
be very unlikely to be able to identify the asteroid progenitor.
Perhaps the only alternative would be to assume that the impact
suffered by the asteroid 31 million years ago ancestor of the
meteoroid Chelyabinsk, was such as to have only brought to the
surface of the asteroid itself rocks of the meteoroid. Or maybe not?

Maurizio Eltri